In today's scenario where children spend more time with teachers than they spend with their parents, the role of teachers in the formation of a well-developed society cannot be neglected.
Teachers play an important role in the formation of a cultured society and their unrelenting efforts are recognised from time to time by the Government as well as other organisations. There are tremendous opportunities for teachers which they can avail during their teaching stint to achieve the required professional growth.
There are national as well as International Scholarship/Fellowship programs especially for the teachers and also some very good opportunities to sharpen their skills by pursuing related programs not only in India but also in countries such as USA and Japan. In the same sequence of events, we are trying to list some of the awards and opportunities available in India as well as at the international level.
List of Opportunities for Teachers
Detailed explanation about all these opportunities is given below.
Exchange / Training Program
National ICT award for school teachers
- Offering Organization: CIET, NCERT
- Details: National ICT award is to facilitate teachers who enhanced the learning efficiency of their students by the use of technology to support learning into their school curriculum and subject teaching leading to peer based cooperative learning. The Award is offered by Central Institute of Educational Technology. The winners of this award are offered ICT kits, Laptops and a commendation Certificate. The winners also get a chance to serve as a resource person through community network. The nomination for the award needs to be sent by the school to the concerned authorities.
Outstanding Science Teacher Prize
- Offering Organization: The Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research
- Details: Outstanding Science Teacher Prize is for pre-university or high school teachers for their excellent work in the field of teaching Science to their students. This award is offered by The Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research and is given to enhance the quality and level of Science education being offered to the younger generation. The nomination for this award need to be sent by the head of the institute and the award carries an honorarium and a citation for the recipient of the award.
Global Teacher Prize
- Offering Organization: The Varkey GEMS Foundation
- Details: The Global Teacher Prize is considered as one of the most reputed awards and thus termed as the Nobel Prize of Teaching. The Prize is offered to an exceptional teacher who has done a remarkable contribution to the society and students by the means of his profession. The aim of the prize is to increase the reputation of the Teaching profession amongst the world. The winner of the Global Teacher Prize receives a sum of 1 Million Dollar. The prize is available for all the teachers (Full Time/Part Time) who are teaching students between the age of 5 to 18 years.
Teaching Professionals’ Olympiad
- Offering Organization: CENTA (Centre for Teacher Accreditation)
- Details: The Teaching Professional Olympiad is an opportunity for the teachers to get their skills Nationally Recognised and get honoured and rewarded for your excellence. The Teaching Professionals’ Olympiad is a 2-hour computer based examination which evaluates the teachers on the basis of their Subject Knowledge, Logical Ability & Communication and Classroom practice & professional competencies. This Olympiad examination is for teaching professional at the school level. The winners will get Cash Prizes, International Conference Sponsorship, National Recognition via The Hindu, Education & Technology Devices and Digi School License. The Olympiad examination is open for anyone who wants to get their teaching skills evaluated.
UNESCO-Hamdan bin Rashid Al-Maktoum Prize
- Offering Organization: UNESCO
- Details: UNESCO-Hamdan bin Rashid Al-Maktoum Prize is given every alternate year, the aim of the award is to improve the performance and effectiveness of teachers across the world.The prize money that is $300,000 (Approx. 1,98,00,000 INR) will be equally distributed among the three winners of the award. Individual applications cannot be made for the award; the candidate needs to be nominated by nominating bodies which can be an educational/research institute, International or National Government organisation etc. The applications will be reviewed by a screening panel but the final selection of the winner will be done by International Jury in the meeting to be held in Dubai for the selection of the Final Winners.
- Offering Organization: Science Olympiad Foundation
- Details: Science Olympiad Foundation is the organising body of National Cyber Olympiad, National Science Olympiad, International Mathematical Olympiad and International English Olympiad. These Olympiad offer an opportunity for the participating students, schools and related teachers & principals. Awards including the decent amount of cash along with Citation and Trophies are offered to the teachers as well as principles of the schools at International, State and District levels.
Fulbright Awards in Teaching Program
- Offering Organization: Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, US.
- Duration of Program: 3-6 Months
- Details: Fulbright Awards is a reputed award in the field of teaching and is sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, US. It is one of its kind Teacher Exchange programs where international teachers get an opportunity to come to US and teachers from the US are sent abroad for a period of 3 to 6 months. The program offers opportunities to enrol in advanced studies, observing classes, workshops in local US Schools. The program will cover tuition, boarding and travel expenses and maintenance allowance will also be offered to the fellows.
Japanese Teacher Training Student Scholarship
- Offering Organization: Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology, Japan.
- Duration of Program: 18 Months.
- Details: Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology under the aegis of Government of Japan offers the opportunity to individuals who have 5 years experience of teaching at the primary or secondary level and are below 35 years of age to pursue specific courses for teachers offered at designated Japanese Universities. The Scholars are paid a monthly allowance of 117000 yen (approximately 60,000 Rs.) along with a waiver of the tuition fee of the course.
- For selection in the scholarship programme interested candidates need to appear in an examination conducted by Japanese Embassy. The program will include 6 months Training in the Japanese Language which may be carried out separately or along with the Teacher Training depending upon the University.
International Leaders in Education Program (ILEP)
- Offering Organization: Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), U.S. Department of State, USA.
- Details: The International Leaders in Education Program is offered by Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), U.S. Department of State and is implemented by IREX. The program provides a deeper understanding and expertise in their subject area, hone their teaching skills and increase their knowledge of the United States. The selected fellows will get support for J1 Visa, Pre-departure and welcome orientation, Airfare for international and domestic travel within the USA. The fee of the academic program will also be taken care by the organisers along with other expenses such as housing, shipping allowance accident & sickness medical insurance etc.
Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program
- Offering Organization: United States-India Educational Foundation
- Duration of Program: 6 weeks
- Details: United States-India Educational Foundation runs Teaching Excellence and Achievement (TEA) Program, according to which teachers are provided with unique opportunities to develop expertise in their subject area, hone their teaching skills and expand their knowledge bank. It consists of a 6-week non-degree, no- credit customised an academic program which includes seminars on lesson planning, teaching methodologies, instructional technology and curriculum development. The winners also get various allowances to support them during the period of their stay in the United States. The program is for school teachers, teaching classes 6 to 12.
UGC Research Awards for Teachers
- Offering Organization: University Grants Commission (UGC)
- Duration of Award: The duration of the award is 2 years.
- Details: University Grants Commission every alternate year offers Research Awards for Teachers who are below the age of 45 and have completed their PhD. The applicants will receive research grant as per the subject they belong to i.e. For Humanities & Social Science the amount is Rs. 2 lakh while for Science/Natural Science/ Engineering & Technology the amount is Rs. 3 lakh. The awardee will also get Staff Quarters, Medical Assistance, Holidays and other benefits that were available to him/her in the parent institute.
Fulbright-Nehru Fellowship for Academic and Professional Excellence
- Offering Organization: United States-India Educational Foundation(USIEF)
- Duration of Program: 4 to 9 months
- Details: United States-India Educational Foundation offers Indian teaching faculty, researchers & professionals to carry out research and deliver lectures in host institute located in the United States of America. The applicants should possess PhD or Master’s Degree along with 5 years of teaching examination. The motive of the Fellowship is to enhance the quality of education not only in India but in U.S.A as well. The fellows will get to stay in the USA for a period of 4 to 9 months and Government will provide a monthly stipend while their stay, insurance cover along with economy class airfare for the to & fro journey will also be offered to the candidates.
RBI Scholarship Scheme for Faculty Members
- Offering Organization: Reserve Bank of India
- Duration of Fellowship: 3 months
- Details: Reserve Bank of India provides scholarships to teachers who are teaching economics or finance in any UGC recognised Institution. The aim of the scholarship is to carry out short-term research in the areas of monetary and financial economics, banking, real sector issues and other areas of interest to the Reserve Bank by the help of experienced teachers from the same field. The applicant should be a full-time faculty with age below 55 years. The candidates selected will get a monthly stipend of Rs. 25,000 along with economy class airfare to travel to & from Mumbai. On acceptance of the research an honorarium of Rs. 1 Lakh will be paid to the Faculty Member.
Teach for India Fellowship
- Offering Organization: Teach for India
- Duration of Fellowship: 2 years
- Details: Teach for India Fellowship gives a golden opportunity to the teachers or anybody interested in teaching to develop their leadership qualities and ameliorate lives of the children under their aegis. The fellowship is an initiative by Teach for India which aims to demolish educational inequality present in the country. The fellowship is offered for a period of 2 year and fellows are provided with necessary support and guidance to work as teachers in under-resourced and low-income schools. The rigorous program offers various challenges and opportunities for young fellows to hone their leadership skill. The Fellowship is open to students in final year of their undergraduate or postgraduate degree program along with for those who started working after completing their degrees but have not worked more than three years.
- Offering Organization: Kaivalya Education Foundation
- Duration of Fellowship: 2 years
- Details: Gandhi Fellowship is an initiative by Kaivalya Education Foundation and is funded by Piramal Foundation, UNICEF and Michael and Susan Dell. Based on the principle given by Mahatma Gandhi “Be the change you wish to see in the world”, the fellowship offers a 2-year program where the fellows need to work with the primary school headmasters to transform their school. The fellows need to take care of 5 schools assigned to them and put their efforts to improve the conditions of the school. The fellows receive a monthly stipend, allowance and various other benefits by associating with Gandhi fellowship. Special assistance is provided to the fellows of Gandhi fellowship to find out job opportunities.