Global Teacher Prize 2017
About Global Teacher Prize
- The Global Teacher Prize is a one million dollar award that is given to an exceptional teacher (full-time/part-time or online) who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession.
- Global Teacher Prize was launched in the year 2014 by the Varkey Foundation to raise the importance of the teaching profession
- The award — the ‘Nobel Prize’ of teaching — operates under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice-President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai.
- There were over 5,000 nominations and applications from 127 countries for the inaugural year of the Global Teacher Prize. At the Global Education and Skills Forum 2015, USA educator Nancie Atwell was announced as the winner from the Top 10 outstanding finalists.
- Submissions for Global Teacher Prize 2017 must be made on or before October 14, 2016.
Subscribe for Regular Updates of Global Teacher Prize
Global Teacher Prize Eligibility Criteria
|| 18 years and above
- The candidate should either be teaching or providing support to students between the ages of 5 and 18 in a school setting
- Teachers who continue to teach, even on a part-time basis are also eligible, as are teachers of online courses.
- Teachers of every kind of school and subject to local laws in every country in the world are eligible.
Not Eligible to participate
- Candidates who have a criminal record
- Candidates who have conducted themselves in such a way as to bring the teaching profession or VF, its affiliates, or their respective directors, officers, employees, agents, and subsidiaries into disrepute
- candidates who have won the Prize earlier
- An employee or consultant of the Varkey Foundation Group of companies, or an immediate family member of such employee or consultant.
Global Teacher Prize Reward
- The Global Teacher Prize Judging Academy will choose the winner in January 2016 and the public announcement will take place at the Global Education and Skills Forum in Dubai, March 2017.
- The winning candidate will receive a Prize Money of 1 million dollar
- The Prize will be paid in equal annual installments over a period of ten years.
- During the span of 10 years, the winner shall not conduct themselves in such a way as to bring the teaching profession or any of the VF Parties into disrepute .
- The winner must attend financial counseling sessions provided free-of-charge by VF.
- For a period of five years after the awarding of the Prize to the winner, the winner must: continue to teach or provide educational support to students between the ages of 5 and 18 in a school setting
- serve as Global Ambassador for VF.
Global Teacher Prize Application form and Process
Global Teacher Prize Application Form can be filled on the official website and candidates must follow the instructions as given below:
Candidates can apply for Global Teacher Prize in either of the two ways:
- Way 1: Candidates can apply themselves
- Way 2: You can nominate an exceptional educator who deserves to be recognized around the world.
Steps involved in the Nomination Process
- First Step: You can nominate a teacher who meets the criteria and is currently teaching children between the age of 5 and 18.
- Second Step: The nominated teacher then needs to fill out their own information in the application form. The closing date for applications is October 14, 2016.
Global Teacher Prize Selection Process
The candidate will be selected by the judges on the basis of below mentioned evidences:
- Innovative and effective instructional practices and student learning outcomes in the classroom and school
- Accomplishments beyond the classroom that provide role models for the teaching profession – whether through charitable or community work, or through sporting, academic or cultural achievement
- Contributions to public debates on raising the bar of the teaching profession, whether through writing articles, blogs, take part in media and social media campaigns, events or conferences
- Sharing inspirational education practices with other teachers
- Preparing children to be global citizens in a world where they will encounter people from many different religions, cultures and nationalities
- Improving access to a quality education for children of all backgrounds
- Third party recognition of a teacher’s achievements in the classroom and beyond
- Encouraging others to join the teaching profession
How the selection process will be carried out?
The first committee of judges will meet in October 2016 to select ten finalists. A final panel of judges will then select the winner, subject to additional screening, background and reference checks.
Global Teacher Prize Contact Details
Global Teacher Prize
St. Albans House, 2nd Floor
London, SW1Y 4QX UK
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7593 4040
Taiwan ICDF scholarship programme 2019 is for the Indian students who want to pursue Undergraduate, Graduate, and PhD degree program in Taiw... Read More
DBT JRF 2019 - Junior Research Fellowship in Biotechnology is conducted by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) under the Ministry of Scien... Read More
ACST 2019 Scholarship is being offered by Aakash Institute for the admission to the candidates preparing for engineering entrance exams, medical ... Read More
The Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation organises Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship Programme 2019. The application process for Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship Pro... Read More