NEET Eligibility 2021 will be determined by National Testing Agency (NTA). Candidates willing for admission to MBBS, BDS and AYUSH courses must satisfy NEET eligibility criteria 2021. Before applying for NTA NEET, aspirants must go through NEET 2021 eligibility criteria to check whether they are eligible or not. NEET exam eligibility includes details about age, qualification, number of attempts and more. Only students who have passed or appearing in Class 12 with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English as main subjects can apply for NEET 2021. Based on the Graduate Medical Education 1997 regulations, the authority has released NEET eligibility 2021.
Applicants who have completed their Class 10+2 from Open and Distance mode are also eligible for NEET-UG. If at a later stage, any student will be found ineligible, the candidature will be cancelled and the application fee will not be refunded. NEET is the basis for admission to 83075 MBBS and around 27000 BDS seats offered by medical and dental colleges of India. Candidates can check the basic NEET eligibility 2021, which must be fulfilled from the article below.
NEET 2021 Latest Announcements
NTA announced the final NEET dates 2021, along with the following changes:
- NEET UG 2021 will be conducted on 12 September in pen-and-paper based mode
- National Eligibility cum Entrance Test – NEET will be conducted in a single session
NEET Eligibility Criteria 2021
NEET eligibility criteria 2021 will specify the age limit, qualification, nationality, attempt limit and other details which must be fulfilled by aspirants for admission to MBBS, BDS and AYUSH courses and also BSc Nursing.
Who are eligible for NEET 2021?
Candidates who are citizens of India and passed/appearing in Class 12 or equivalent examination can appear for NEET 2021. In order to be eligible for the undergraduate medical/dental entrance examination, aspirants need to register themselves by filling NEET application form 2021. Check the basic NEET eligibility 2021 in the article.
NEET Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must be a citizen of India; NRIs, PIOs, OCIs and Foreign nationals can also apply
Completed 17 years as on 17 December 2021 Born on or before 31 December 2004
Not more than 25 years for General category (30 years for SC/ST/OBC)
Number of attempts
There is no cap for the number of attempts
10+2 or equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English as main subjects (Biology/Biotechnology as additional subjects will also be considered)
General – 50% and SC/ST/OBC – 40% (minimum aggregate marks obtained in PCB subjects)
NEET Eligibility 2021 - Age Limit
As per the official NEET eligibility criteria 2021, candidates who have completed their 17 years as on 31 December 2021 can apply for NEET UG. The upper age limit of NEET exam eligibility for unreserved category candidates is 25 years, while the relaxation of 5 years is given to candidates belonging to reserved category.
The eligibility norms of upper age limit were earlier challenged in the Supreme Court of India, however, no final decision has been announced. Last year, CBSE released a notification to reintroduce the NEET upper age limit, though it was later removed by High Court of Delhi.
Category-wise NEET age limit 2021
Minimum age limit
Maximum age limit
Should be of 17 years and Born on or before 31 December 2004
Not more than 25 years on the day of exam (to be confirmed)
Completed 17 years and Born on or before 31 December 2004
Not more than 30 years on the day of exam (to be confirmed)
NEET Eligibility Criteria 2021 - Qualifying Marks
- Candidates must have completed their either Class 10+2 with PCB subjects from CBSE/state board or equivalent examination from any recognized university.
- General category: Aspirants from unreserved category must have secured a minimum of 50% taken together in Physics, Chemistry and Biology (Botany + Zoology).
- Reserved category: Candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC-NCL category must have obtained minimum qualifying marks of 40% in aggregate of PCB subjects.
- PH candidates: For a person with lower limb disability, the set minimum qualifying marks is 45% for General-PH candidates and 40% for SC/ST/OBC-PH aspirants.
- As per NEET eligibility criteria set by Medical Council of India (MCI), candidates who have studied Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics as core subjects and Biology/Biotechnology as additional subjects will not be eligible to appear for NEET 2021. However, the Delhi High Court later removed this clause for 2018.
Minimum qualifying marks
NEET eligibility minimum cut off
NEET Eligibility Criteria 2021 for NRI/Foreign Candidates
To be eligible for NEET 2021, NRI and candidates from foreign countries must fulfil certain education NEET eligibility criteria set. The last qualifying examination passed by these aspirants must be equivalent to Class 12 examination from other countries. The subjects which candidates must have studied in the qualifying examination must include Physics, Chemistry and Biology including practical tests of each subject and English as qualifying examination.
NEET Exam Eligibility 2021 - Number of attempts
The attempt limit has been removed for NEET 2018 and it is expected that it will not be allowed for NEET 2021. As per the eligibility for NEET 2021, candidates can appear as many times as they want, provided they must fulfil the above-mentioned criteria.
NEET 2021 Eligibility Criteria for 15% All India Quota seats
- Indian Nationals, NRIs, OCIs, POIs and Foreign candidates are eligible to appear for 15% All India Quota seats
- Candidates from the state of Jammu and Kashmir are not eligible for 15% AIQ as the state government has opted out of All India scheme
- If candidates from J&K claim for NEET eligibility 2021, they must submit the self-declaration form which will be generated and printed automatically along with the confirmation page for the record and NEET counselling 2021
- This online self-declaration form will be verified at the time of NEET 15% AIQ counselling. If at any stage, the self-declaration form is found to be false, the candidature will be cancelled and criminal proceedings will be followed
- Aspirants from Jammu & Kashmir who will appear for NEET 2021 for admission to private medical or dental colleges and Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune must fulfil the NEET eligibility 2021 conditions
NEET Eligibility for 85% State Quota seats
The admission to 85% state quota seats will be granted by respective state counselling authorities on the basis of NEET merit rank, preferences of courses as well as colleges and seats available. For allotment of seats under 85% state quota seats, the candidate must fulfil the NEET eligibility criteria and also the eligibility conditions set by the particular state. Some states and union territories will also require domicile certificates to prove their domicile
The admission to private medical, dental and AYUSH colleges will be subject to policies set by state and union territories
Important Points regarding NEET Eligibility 2021
- Eligibility of the candidate will be determined on the last date of submission of NEET Online Application Form.
- Foreign Nationals should have to confirm their eligibility from the concerned Medical/ Dental College/ State.
- Indian Nationals, NRIs, OCIs, PIOs and Foreign Nationals are eligible for 15% All India Quota seats.
- The students from State of Jammu and Kashmir are not eligible for 15% All India Quota.
- The government of Andhra Pradesh and Government of Telangana have decided to join and contribute to the All India Quota seats.
- Hence, the students of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana have also become eligible for 15% All India Quota.
NEET Eligibility 2021 FAQs
Below are some of the frequently asked questions of NEET eligibility criteria:
Question: Will NIOS candidates eligible to apply for NEET 2021?
Answer: Yes, students who passed their Class 12 from NIOS are eligible for NEET 2021 as a clause which was later removed by Delhi High Court.
Question: I had Biology as an additional subject, thus, am I eligible for NEET 2021?
Answer: This clause was introduced by MCI but was later overruled by Delhi High Court which means, candidates with Biology/Biotechnology as an additional subject in Class 11 and 12 can also appear for NEET 2021.
Question: Will NTA consider my Class 12 marks for NEET 2021?
Answer: Candidates will be required to secure the minimum qualifying percentage to appear for NEET 2021. The minimum required percentage secured in Class 12 makes candidates eligible to appear for NEET but they should also qualify in the entrance exam for admission to UG medical and dental courses.
NEET 2021 (UG) is a common exam for admission into Government and Private Medical Colleges in the country. NEET has replaced AIPMT exam from 2016. No state or private institute is now allowed to conduct their own medical entrance exam for the admissions into MBBS and BDS courses. Although states and colleges will conduct their separate counselling for admission in medical colleges
In case of any query regarding NEET Eligibility Criteria 2021, you can write to us in the comment section below