CAT Preparation Tips 2018: Common Admission Test (CAT) will be conducted on 25 November 2018 for admission to top IIMs and other MBA colleges accepting CAT scores. MBA aspirants must have started CAT 2018 preparation well in advanced in acceptance with the revised CAT paper pattern. As per the experts and previous years’ toppers, time management skill is the key component for CAT preparation.
As the time passes by, months by months, candidates need to revise their CAT preparation strategies with the tips and tricks. With the help of appropriate books for CAT preparation and correct study material, students can prepare well for the management exam. Also, CAT mock test can acuminate the CAT 2018 preparation of aspirants through practice. MBA aspirants can read the article to know better preparation tips for CAT to study and determine the strategy. The tips mentioned in this article is CAT preparation tips for beginners but any student can refer them and improve the performance.
CAT Preparation Tips 2018 - How to Prepare for CAT 2018
CAT is a very competitive exam and to be ahead of the competition a candidate has to plan in advance and take some steps. For a candidate who is going to start the preparation for CAT 2018, there are a few things that s/he needs to do which are as given below
- Know CAT Exam Pattern
- Know CAT Syllabus
- Prepare CAT Study Plan
- Practise from CAT Question Paper
- Practise CAT Mock Tests
Knowing the CAT exam pattern
CAT exam will be held on 25 November 2018 and despite a number of changes in CAT paper pattern, the crux of the exam has not changed. CAT exam pattern has not changed since 2018 and is expected to be on the same lines this year as well. Though there could be some minor changes in number and type of questions. In order to secure good marks in CAT 2018, candidates must start their CAT preparation without waiting.
As per the revised CAT exam pattern 2018, the exam will contain 3 sections with a total of 100 questions. Each section will be timed with an individual time limit of 1 hour. Candidates must ensure the secure good marks in each section and there will be sectional score cut off for admission in IIMs.
CAT Exam Pattern
CAT paper pattern
Number of sections
Questions with negative marking
Questions without negative marking
+3 marks to be awarded for each correct answer
-1 marks to be deducted for an incorrect answer
Knowledge of CAT Syllabus 2018
After the clarification of the CAT exam pattern, aspirants must follow the CAT syllabus. Knowing the complete syllabus will help in better CAT preparations. The syllabus of CAT exam is not pre-defined by the convening IIMs not it was outlined by earlier IIMs. CAT 2018 syllabus is based on the guidelines and current structure of the exam. CAT syllabus 2018 has been divided into following sections: Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning.
Significance of CAT Syllabus 2018
- With the sectional division of CAT syllabus, aspirants can know their weakness. Candidates can boost their CAT preparations overcoming these flaws
- CAT aspirants can strategize their time management skills after knowing the syllabus
CAT Study Plan
After the knowledge of CAT syllabus, candidates can make an accurate and effective CAT study plan for better CAT preparation 2018. In the beginning, aspirants must focus on completion of CAT syllabus. Once the syllabus will be completed, candidates can start CAT preparation 2018 through mock test and online tests. The short notes help to strengthen the theories and memorize the formulas.
To enhance the CAT 2018 preparations, candidates must fix a monthly goal and study according to that. Aspirants must ensure that monthly CAT study plan will be completed in a month.
Strengthen core concepts
During CAT preparation 2018, candidates must focus to enhance their core concepts. As said, “Practice makes a man perfect”, MBA aspirants must focus on enlightening fundamental concepts and practice as much as they want to. One must clear their fundamental concepts.
Take CAT Mock Test 2018
CAT mock tests and previous year question papers are the major tools for better CAT preparation 2018. Besides CAT mock test, the exam quiz, previous year mock tests, CAT sectional quiz also play a vital in better CAT preparations 2018.
Candidates should not miss using CAT mock tests as the experts also suggest that CAT preparation without these tools won’t help aspirants. Taking practice test will help students to know their strategy and enhance their CAT preparation tips 2018.
Best Books for CAT preparation 2018
While preparing for CAT 2018, it is very important that the candidate chooses the best book available in order to get a better understanding of the concepts as well as score good marks in CAT exam. There are various books available for CAT exam which are very good and can be referred while following the CAT preparation tips. Given below are some of the best books for different subjects that will help in preparation for CAT.
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by R.S. Aggarwal
- How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Arun Sharma
- Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT Common Admission Tests for Admission into IIMs by Sarvesh K. Verma
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- The Pearson Guide To Verbal Ability And Logical Reasoning For The CAT by Nishit K. Sinha
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
- How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT by Arun Sharma
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT by Nishit K. Sinha
- How to prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT by Arun Sharma
CAT Preparation Time
Now the question is that what could be perfect CAT preparation time that can help candidates to secure perfect percentile in CAT 2018 exam? Actually, there is no precise rule for this, however, CAT toppers suggest that candidates must remain constant and steady with their CAT preparation and always prepare like CAT exam is around the corner.
As it is mentioned above that CAT exam will be conducted in November and there is still a good time left for CAT preparation 2018, which can give an effective result. The preparation time of CAT 2018 can be divided into three slots and can be shared as:
- How to prepare for CAT 2018 in 3 months?
- How to prepare for CAT 2018 in 6 months?
- How to prepare for CAT 2018 in 12 months?
How to prepare for CAT 2018 in 3 Months?
A candidate with 3 months left for the CAT 2018 can still score good marks by following the tips given below:
- Prepare a strategy for the exam
- Try to solve CAT previous year question paper like you would in an actual exam and try to finish it in time. This will help in identifying the weak and strong areas.
- Solve mock tests to test your preparation.
- Do not start a new topic and revise all the topics you have studied already
- Read newspapers daily and try to make your opinion on it. It will help you a lot in your GD sessions and interviews.
How to prepare for CAT 2018 in 6 months?
CAT preparation time of 6 months is enough to secure good percentile, provided candidates should be constant with that CAT preparation tips:
- If a candidate has enough time for CAT preparation, then they must at least go through and understand CAT paper pattern
- Try to find out weak sections and focus more it
- Before working on weak sections, revise the strong areas more perfect so that, aspirants need not turn back
- If candidates have understood the basic concepts, they must attempt CAT sectional quiz. Do not waste time on theory
- Collect best CAT preparation books
How to prepare for CAT 2018 in 12 months?
For a candidate having 12 months in his/her hands, getting a good score is not at all difficult. Such a candidate has an ample amount of time to focus on all the subjects and get a firm grip on them. Given below are the tips that candidates can consider while preparing for CAT 2018 with 12 months in hand:
- Candidate first has to decide whether a coaching is to be taken or not.
- If a coaching is taken by the candidate then the process of understanding the concept will take lesser time and there would be much more time to revise what was told in the coaching class.
- In case, the candidate decides not to take any coaching, then s/he can give All India Test Series from T.I.M.E. or IMS in order to know the level of preparation.
- Prepare a study plan and stick to it. Focus on polishing the concepts and avoid rote learning.
- Prepare for CAT 2018 with the NCERT textbooks. Most of the topics are present in NCERT books itself.
- Stay disciplined and devote at least 4 hours per day to studying for CAT 2018 exam.
- Prepare a list of colleges that accept CAT score. Analyse your performance and set a clear goal for yourself that you have to achieve and continuously work towards reaching it.
How to prepare for CAT 2018 without coaching?
There is no substitute for research, hard work and self-preparation. Therefore, CAT experts advise starting CAT preparation without coaching until or unless candidates feel stuck at some particular point. Students wondering how to prepare for CAT 2018 without coaching can check the preparation tips for CAT given below
- Self-preparation is the best strategy for CAT 2018; however, candidates must also understand the time limit. In case, candidates get stuck at some point, they must immediately approach CAT toppers through Facebook or groups, contact their teachers or look for other guidance; rather wasting time on a question and being depressed
- Most of the students who are from engineering or technical background find Quantitative, DI and LR section easy, in comparison to other. But during CAT preparation for English Comprehension, they might find problems for which they must seek guidance
How to prepare for CAT 2018 at home?
CAT preparation 2018 at home will be arduous in the beginning but candidates must start doing it without further dues. Akhil Garg, CAT topper with 99.73 percentile of PGP 2017 advises starting preparing at home without being dependent on any coaching institutes. Following are some of the CAT preparation tips for beginners at home:
- Get through of complete CAT syllabus
- Revise the CAT exam pattern completely
- Analyse and understand the weak and strong section
- Use the recommended books for CAT 2018 and practice through it
- Research on weak sections and monitor the improvement on the regular basis
- Take online CAT mock test for more CAT preparation and analyse the mistakes done in mock test
- To improve English Comprehension, note down some few good English words after reading 5-6 newspapers daily
Some Simple CAT Preparation Tips 2018
Apart from the above CAT 2018 preparation tips, below are few tips which will help aspirants in enhancing CAT preparations:
- Read newspapers, books and magazines
- Solve crosswords and puzzles
- Improve vocabulary and grammar
- Practice more non-multiple choice questions
CAT 2018 Preparation Strategy
Any candidate preparing for CAT exam cannot even start the preparation without a strategy. Preparing without a strategy is a recipe for disaster. Given below are a few CAT preparation tips to include in your CAT preparation strategy
- Collect all the required book required for preparation.
- Join a coaching class and if you are not joining any then enrol yourself in any of the test series.
- Focus more on understanding the core concepts rather than rote learning and practice their implementations.
- Try to solve each question you practice within a stipulated time. This will increase your speed gradually.
- Identify your weak and strong areas and practice accordingly.
- Get some previous year question papers of CAT and solve them.
- After finishing the syllabus, revise all the subjects and give mock test papers to test your level of preparation.
- Never ever start a new topic in the last few days before the exam. Work on the new topics when you have an ample amount of time to give it.
CAT 2018 Last Days Preparation Tips
Few days before the CAT exam are always very tense. The performance of the candidate heavily depends on the way in which such last days are spent. Candidates should follow the CAT preparation tips and never start anything new at such a crucial point of time and stick to what s/he has prepared.
CAT Preparation Tips 2018 - FAQ
Students are always confused when it comes to preparing for CAT. Even after following the given CAT preparation tips, there are any questions that arise in the minds and are often left unsolved. Let's have a look at some of the frequently asked questions related to CAT preparation below.
Question 1: When should I start preparing for CAT?
Students should start preparing for CAT at least 8 months before the exam. In 8 months, s/he can make a plan and easily implement it. One of the things that one needs to have while preparing for such period is consistency and discipline. Students have an ample amount of tie to prepare for the exam and hence it is very important to dedicate 4-5 hours a day to the studies.
Question 2: How do I keep myself motivated to study for CAT?
This is a very common problem. The ones who find a cure to this problem score good marks and the one who could not are left behind. Now, the difference between both the individual is the level of motivation. The one with a high level of motivation does not stop when s/he is tired but stop when s/he is done. Whenever you feel like quitting whatever you are studying, take a break, think about why you started in the first place and remember the goal. It is very important to remember the goal and keep it clear in your mind.
If you feel demotivated, you should take a break, freshen up your mind, remember the reason why you started and start working again. A motivation that comes from within is 100 times more effective compared to one coming from outside.
For any queries related to CAT Preparation Tips 2018, you can write to us in the comments section below.