JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018 as laid down by CBSE is given on this page. To appear in JEE Main, the candidates have to mandatorily fulfil the eligibility conditions. JEE Main is an All India Engineering Entrance exam conducted by CBSE. JEE Main 2018 will have two papers: Paper 1 for engineering aspirants who wish to study BE and B.Tech and Paper 2 for admission to Architecture Courses namely, B.Arch and B.Plan. From now onwards, the Adhaar card is mandatory to appear in the JEE Mains. The candidates can check out Academic, Age requirement and Other Important details in this JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018 page.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018 - Check Here
Age: The candidates must note that Date of Birth mentioned in Secondary Education Board/ University Certificate will be considered. The age of the candidate should be considered according to the criteria given in the following table.
Date of Birth for Eligibility
Born on or After 1 October 1993
SC, ST, PwD Candidates
Born on or After 1 October 1988
Academic Eligibility for JEE Main 2018
The academic eligibility is described below in which the year of appearance in qualifying exam and the number of subjects needed in the qualifying examination.
Year of Appearance in Qualifying Examination
- The candidates who have passed their Class 12th Exam or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2016 or 2017 are eligible to apply for JEE Main 2018.
- Those who are appearing in their Class 12th Exam or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2018 are eligible to appear in JEE Main 2018.
- The candidates who will appear in Class 12th or equivalent qualifying examination in 2019 or later are not eligible to appear in JEE Main 2018.
- Candidates who appeared in class 12th or equivalent qualifying Examinations in 2016 and did not pass in 2015, but passed in 2016 are also not eligible to appear in JEE Main 2018.
Number of subjects in the Qualifying Examination
- Candidates must have taken at least five subjects in class 12th/ qualifying examination in order to be eligible for JEE Main 2018.
- Anyone of the Chemistry/Biology/Technical Vocational Subject.
- Any Other Subject.
- The candidates who have taken four subjects are not permitted to appear in JEE Main 2018 and if such candidates appear in JEE (Main) 2018 by furnishing wrong information, their rank/result will not be declared.
JEE Main Eligibility marks required in the Qualifying Exam
General category candidates should have secured 75% of their class 12 exams for admission to IITs, NITs, IIITs and CFTIs.
From the year 2017 Onward, Class 12 Marks will not be included in calculating the JEE Main Rank 2018. However, the candidate must have secured at least 75% marks or must be in top 20 percentile in Class 12 to be eligible for admission to IITs/NITs/IIITs and other CFTIs (where the admissions are based on JEE Ranks).
- However, SC/ST candidates require 65% in their class 12 exams for admission to IITs, NITs, IIITs, and CFTIs.
JEE Main Eligibility for Admission to NITs, IIITs and Other Institutions
- Admission to NITs, IIITs, and other institutions participating though Central Seat Allocation Board will be based on All India Rank along with the criteria of the subject.
- Subject combinations required in the qualifying examination for admission to BE/BTech & BArch/ B.Planning Courses in NITs, IIITs, and other CFTIs given in the table below:
Admission to Other Courses: The above-mentioned policy will also be adopted by other Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTIs) and participating Institutions. In case a State opts to admit students in the Engineering Colleges affiliated to State Universities, the State may prepare separate rank list based on criteria decided by them.
JEE Main 2018 - Other Eligibility Criteria
Number of JEE Attempts
The candidate can make maximum 3 number of attempts to appear in JEE Main. However, for JEE (Advanced) a maximum of two times attempts can be made in consecutive years irrespective of whether or not the candidate has passed the Qualifying Examination.
Number of JEE Main Attempts and Age limit for the states of Madhya Pradesh and Odisha
The age limit for admission to institutions in these states will be as per their past practice only, which was earlier admitting candidates based on their state level examinations. The number of attempts in such cases will also remain same as per their past practice. However, this all is not applicable for admission to IITs/NITs/IIITs/CFTIs
Non-Eligibility for JEE Main 2018
- Candidates who passed Class 12 / qualifying examination in 2015 or before as well as those who will appear in such examination in 2019 or later are not eligible to appear in JEE Main 2018.
- Candidates who appeared in Class 12 / equivalent qualifying Examinations in 2015 and did not pass in 2015 but passed in 2016 are also not eligible to appear in JEE Main 2018.
- If a candidate expects the result of Class 12/ equivalent qualifying examination to be declared after June 15, 2018, by the examining body, the candidate is advised not to attempt JEE Main 2018.
- Candidates whose Class 12result /equivalent qualifying examination are not available by June 15, 2018, will not be considered for allotment of All India Ranking of JEE Main 2018.
For any query related to JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018, candidates can write to us in the comment section below.