NEET 2018: Open school students are not eligible to appear in NEET 2018. Medical Council of India (MCI) has debarred students who have completed their class 12th from distance learning or Open school. Until last year, open school students were eligible to apply for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET). As per NEET 2018 official Notification, Open school/private students are not eligible to appear in NEET.
The previous year data shows more than 2 lakhs students register with NIOS every year and around 3000 students applied for NEET in the year 2017 and 864 has qualified the test same year. However, one of the members from MCI clearly stated that they can’t equate regular students with those who complete class 12 from correspondence as the don’t get practical lessons. However, NIOS claimed that they are fulfilling the criteria proposed by the MCI in past and therefore their Alma Maters are eligible to apply for NEET.
NIOS is an open and distance learning school in India, who serves approximately 350000 students annually which make him one of the largest open schooling systems in the world. It works under Union Government of India and established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
Official Statements for NEET 2018 by MCI and NIOS
- MCI stated in a letter to NIOS, ”NIOS students would not be on par with those from the regular mode. They would be ineligible for NEET on the equitable basis.”
- “We can’t equate regular students with those who complete class 12 from correspondence as the latter don’t get practical lessons,” said a member of the MCI, justifying the rationale for the Council’s decision.
- NIOS countered on the above statement,” Our syllabus was more rigorous and students are examined on the syllabus for class XI and XII, whereas other boards examine learners just on class XII syllabus”
- MHRD, in turn, spoke with the Health Ministry to accordingly direct MCI into reversing the order as it was against the centre's policy of equal learning and career opportunities for all students – irrespective.
Quick Links Related to NEET 2018
- NEET 2018 - National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test
- NEET Counselling and Seat Matrix 2018
- NEET Score a compulsion for admission to BHMS, BAMS and BUMS Course from 2018
In case of any query regarding this news, you can write to us in the comment section below.