Territorial Army Recruitment 2018, Woman allowed to join by HC. Earlier advertisements regarding the vacancy in Indian Territorial Army display only Male citizens of India and ex-services officers who are medically fit are eligible to apply. After PIL filled by a lawyer, Kush Kalra who charged allegation stating discrimination against women as there is no vacancy for them in Territorial Army, finally, the verdict came out, supported women and opened door to serve Territorial Army as well. Lately, the bench of acting Chief justice Gita Mittal and Justice C Hari Shankar made their decision as all the restrictions against women in Territorial Army are failed to make an impact.
Indian Territory Army is also served by few politicians, cricketers, sports person etc. like MS Dhoni and Abhinav Bindra. There are countries like America, Russia and Israel who allow women in Army in different sectors.
What is Territorial Army?
Indian Territorial Army is the part of Regular Army and actively serves as a backbone to it. It is the second line of defence after Regular Army. It mainly works is to relieve the Regular Army from static duties and provide assistance to civil administration in dealing with natural calamities and maintenance of essential services during any kind of crisis.
Women Allowed to join Territorial Army Recruitment 2018 - Key Highlights!
- Women are now allowed to apply to serve Territorial Army after PIL filed by a lawyer stating discrimination against women.
- Delhi High court state the verdict that teh women are eligible for the recruitment and appointment to TA under section 6 of the Indian Territorial Army Act
- Earlier, the advertisement for the vacancy used to display only the Male citizens which have now been altered from this year.
- Indian Territory Army is also followed by the politicians and sportspersons such as MS Dhoni and Abhinav Bindra.
- The countries like America, Russia and Israel also allow women recruitment in different sectors of Army.
Important Statements delivered at the event
- “The denial of service in Territorial Army to women is discriminatory and defies basic Right to Equality that is the hallmark of the Constitution”, an Advocate said who is in support of the women in Territorial Army.
- “Women can join and serve in the Territorial Army (TA), in its railway engineer regiments, and will also be considered for honorary commissions”, the Centre told the Delhi high court.
- “Women are eligible for recruitment and appointment to the Territorial Army under Section 6 of the Indian Territorial Army Act, 1948”, the Delhi High Court verdict.
Women in Territorial Army - A brief History of women serving Army
From flying the Jet to serving with armed in onboard submarines, and combat positions to tank units, Indian women lately diversified themselves into the different field to serve the country by conquering the gender discrimination. Back in 2016, Former President Pranab Mukherjee announced that the woman will be allowed to take up combat role in all sections of the Indian Armed forces. And this legacy finally led to another victory and opened the door for women in Indian Territorial Army as well. Till 2014, India has only 3% women in the army, 2.8% in Navy and 8.5% in Air Force whereas Indian army is world’s 2nd largest military force. However, the figures are the matter of improvement as women got wings with the recent declaration by the High Court.
If you have any query regarding this news, you can write to us in the comment section below.