United Nations Regional Courses in International Law 2017
About UN Regional Courses in International Law
- United Nations Regional Courses in International Law 2017 are conducted under the United Nations Programme of Assistance in the Teaching, Study, Dissemination and Wider Appreciation of International Law.
- The Regional Courses have been held periodically since 1967 depending on the willingness of a Government. To date, twenty-nine Regional Courses have been held in various countries.
- The Regional Courses will be carried out in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean and Asia-Pacific.
- The Regional Course for Asia-Pacific is organized by the Codification Division, in cooperation with the Government of Thailand and the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific
- Objective: The Regional Courses provide high-quality training by leading scholars and practitioners on a broad range of core subjects of international law, as well as specific subjects of particular interest to the countries in a given region.
What is Exactly Regional Course?
- Courses in International Law will be conducted in the form of interactive seminars and discussions to allow a maximum exchange of views.
- The participants are required to contribute to the discussions on the various topics included in the curriculum of the Regional Courses.
- A comprehensive set of training materials is provided for each participant at the beginning of the Regional Course.
Regional Course for Asia-Pacific
- The Regional Course will be conducted in English.
- The course will accommodate up to 30 participants.
Subscribe for Regular Updates of UN Regional Courses in International Law
UN Regional Courses in International Law Eligibility Criteria
|| For Government officials and Teachers of international law
- Candidates must have a legal background with professional experience in the field of international law.
- Application from female candidates are strongly encouraged
- Qualified professionals, in particular government officials and teachers of international law from developing countries and countries with emerging economies are eligible to participate.
UN Regional Courses in International Law Reward
- The accommodation, meals, medical insurance, participation in the Regional Course and the training materials of the fellows will be borne.
- Selected candidates will also receive a stipend to cover other living expenses.
- Selected candidates may also apply for self-funded positions.
- Self-funded participants bear all costs associated with their participation
- Training materials and lunches during the weekdays are provided to all candidates.
UN Regional Courses in International Law Application form and Process
Application process for the 2017 Regional Course for Asia-Pacifica is currently being accepted. The deadline for the Application is October 14, 2016.
- The application form contains ten pages. Candidates are required to download the application form and fill it in English, typewritten
- The "Letter of Transmission" must be completed and signed by a senior official of the institution that presents the candidate’s application
- In addition, the candidate whose mother tongue or language of instruction is not English must submit evidence of his/her ability to attend and participate in lectures and seminars conducted in English
Enclosures to be submitted with the Application Form
- With clear indication of which course you are applying to
- With signed Letter of Transmission (Part I)
- With signed Recommendation (Part III)
- evidence of required linguistic skills, if applicable
Submission of the Application form
The duly filled in Application form along with above-mentioned enclosures has to be submitted electrically via Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org before October 14, 2016.
Two versions of the application form must be submitted:
- One scanned copy of the signed original (for example in pdf, tif, or jpg.)
- One electronic MS Word version (or equivalent) of the application
UN Regional Courses in International Law Selection Process
The selection of the candidates for the Regional Courses will be done on the basis of below mentioned measures:
- Candidates' qualifications will be given due consideration.
- The scope of their professional duties
- The relevance of the training to their professional duties
- Gender balance of the fellowships.
- Candidates who are already present in the host city i.e. Bangkok will be surely considered.