The Hindu Playwright Award 2017
About The Hindu Playwright Award
The Hindu Playwright award is organized by the Hindu, a venture news daily of Kasturi & Sons to award emerging English writers and playwrights for their superb creation in the field of drama.The award enables writers to get national recognition for their written dramas and plays. An entry must be a full-length play (performance time of 50 minutes or more) on any subject of the writer’s choice.
- The purpose of this award is to recognise fresh talents in the field of art, dramatists and plays and encourage them to do better in their work.
- Earlier it was known as The Hindu MetroPlus Playwright Award and was instituted in 2008.
The Hindu Playwright Award 2017 Important Dates
Last Date for Application
31 May 2017
Announcement of Shortlisted Applicants
Result will be announced during The Hindu Theatre Fest 2017
Subscribe for Regular Updates of The Hindu Playwright Award
The Hindu Playwright Award Eligibility Criteria
|| Age 18 years or above
- The participants should be Indian Citizens or should have been residing in India for more than 5 years.
- The play must be an original, unpublished and unperformed work in English and must not have been staged in any public space before the announcement of the award
The Hindu Playwright Award Reward
The award would be given to a unique play with a very strong storyline.There is Rs. 2 lac prize money to be won for the best play in English (Original Category)
The Hindu Playwright Award Application form and Process
The entry (script) for the award has to be submitted via e-mail as well as by post ony then will it be considered eligible for the further round of selection.
Guidelines for the Script
- It should be an original version and in English
- It should be fresh and not staged in any place before.
- There shouldn’t be any quotation or copyright material in the play.
- Translated works are not eligible.
- Adaptations of novels and texts are eligible.
- Submissions must be printed in double space on single sides of A4 sheets
- Candidates have to send their unique script to the Hindu’s office and on the email id The script must contain the writer’s name, telephone/ mobile number and their address.
- Email Submission: email@example.com AND
- Postal Submission: The candidates must send the copy of their script on A4 size paper format to
The Hindu Playwright Award 2017,
Strategy Department, the Hindu,
Kasturi Buildings,859-860, Annasalai, Chennai 600002
The Hindu Playwright Award Contact Details
Phone: (91)-44-28415325, 28416290/ 180030001878