IIM Calcutta will award Post Graduate and Doctorate Degrees from 2018 according to the new law passed in Rajya Sabha last week. So far now, IIMs provide Diplomas and Fellowships to their students. But after passing the law, IIM Calcutta decided to be the first one to reward Post Graduate and Doctorates degree to the university. It is totally individual IIM's call to decide when to start rolling out the degrees. Although IIM Calcutta has already decided to deliver it from 2018.
- The students are excited as they will now hold degrees and doctorates as it would provide them recognition internationally. Previously IIMs came under the Societies Act and not authorized to provide the degree.
Benefits of PG and Doctorates Degree over Diplomas and Fellowships
In India, there are 20 IIMs with nearly 10,000 students in the session of 2016-18 and 2017-2019 which will get the benefits of this new law. This would not only help them for further studies especially in foreign but also be the pillar to get the jobs in MNCs as they rarely accept diplomas according to their policy. It also opens doors for Indian Management to spread globally and mark their presence. Although IIMs are well recognized for management through the new ones are still in progress and this new law will wing them to reach the heights.
IIM Calcutta will award Degrees from 2018 - Key Highlights!
- Students will get Post Graduate Degrees and Doctorates instead of Diplomas and Fellowships respectively.
- It will open up the doors for the students to get the jobs in MNCs and further opportunity to study abroad
- Students of Session of 2016-2018 and 2017-19 will be the first one to take advantage of this new law.
- IIM Calcutta will be the first one to initiate this rule. Hence, it has already decided to deliver it from 2018.
- According to the officials, It is individual IIM's call to decide when to start rolling out the degrees according to this new rule.
- Apart from IIM, other prestigious management institutes registered under the Societies Act are also liable to award these degrees to their students instead of MBA and PhD.
What IIM Calcutta Official has to say about this?
"Every IIM can now award post-graduate degrees and doctorates instead of diplomas and fellowships, respectively, but it depends on a particular IIM to decide when it wants to start doing this". A statement made by the senior IIM-C official.
According to the IIM C Official, every new law involves a process which includes the approval of the board of governors. So once, the suitable amendments get made, we hope to start awarding the degrees from April 2018.
In case of any query regarding the news, you can write to us in the comment section below.