Sports is considered to be of high importance all over the country and this is widely reflected in one of the leading university of the country that is, Delhi University. DU thus offers admissions to students on the basis of their merit in sports in order to reward them with quality education along with ensuring that they are able to practise their passion in sports. Similar importance is provided to extra-curricular activities in the university
There are thus, seats reserved for students under the category of Sports and ECA for students who have performed splendidly and have represented their school, region or country at different levels. Following are the provisions of admissions through the sports and ECA quota in Delhi University:
- Max 5 % Seats: No more than 5% of total seats are reserved for students applying through the sports and ECA quota.
- Admission at College Level: The admissions for sports and ECA take place at college level, thus every candidate wanting to pursue admission through this category has to fill out forms of individual colleges separately. The committee constituted at college level monitors admissions in this category. This committee will have one representative from Vice Chancellor’s office.
There are two Categories for admission through Sports Quota
- Super Category - Students get direct admission in the college
- Trial Category - Student has to go through a Fitness Trial followed by sports trial
Who is eligible for Super Category?
Sportspersons who have participated or represented the country in Olympics or World Championships organized by
- International sports federations
- Asian Games
- Asian championships organized by the international federation of the respective games, Commonwealth,
- SAF and Afro-Asiana games
- Paralympics recognized by International Olympic Committee
- Ministry of youth affairs and sports
What is a Fitness Test at Delhi University?
A Fitness Test has to be undertaken by all the candidates applying for admission under Sports Category except the 'Super Category'
- The Student has to qualify for any of the two Fitness Test but for Archery, Chess and Shooting the student just have to qualify in one of the three tests.
- Student has to get Fitness Certificate from any one college and that would be valid for all colleges.
Activity Men Women Strength: Standing Broad Jump 1.65 m 1.15 m Endurance: 1000 m Run or Walk 5 min 6 min Speed: 50 m Dash 8 sec 9 sec
The Trials : The trials will include endurance, strength, speed and a candidate will have to clear at least two of the tests to qualify for admissions. Each candidate will have to score a minimum of 18 marks in the trial section to qualify.
- Trials will be held in two parts: Preliminary trials and final trials. Preliminary trials will lead to elimination of candidates and a list of candidates will be prepared for the final trials. These candidates will be notified by the college through the website or college notice boards. Candidates pursuing admissions are advised to stay updated with the college notice boards.
- Assessment: The assessment of candidates applying through this quota will be done on the basis of their certificates, interview and trial performance. Both trial performance and certificate will get equal weightage.
- The admission procedure for Jesus and Mary College and St. Stephens College is slightly different as it does not require the candidate to fill up a separate form for sports or ECA admission but simply mention this in the category section of the pre-admissions form.