To be declared fit for selection, a candidate must be in good mental and physical health and free from any deficiency likely to interfere with the efficient performance of duties. These medical requirements are laid down by DG Shipping and are subject to change.
The Medical Test is conducted after the online test and needs to be done by a DGS and TMI approved doctor only. The names and addresses of doctors will be given by the TMI office after you are shortlisted. It is preferable that candidates get their screening test done by any doctor, as per standards laid down, to avoid disappointment at a later stage
The following features are to be particularly observed:
Height and Weight: Minimum height should be 157 centimetres with co-related weight and proportionate chest.
Chest Expansion: Candidate must have minimum 5-centimetre expansion.
2) Skeletal System
- There should be no disease or impairment of functions of bones or joints.
- The candidate should also be free from any contraction or deformity of the chest or any joint.
- There should also not be any abnormal curvatures of the spine, deformity of legs and feet like bow legs, knock knee, flat feet.
- Neither should there be any instance of deformity of upper limbs, malformation of the head, deformity from fractures or depression of the skull.
- Healed fractures with a pin inside will also be a disqualification.
3) Ear, Nose, Throat
- There should be no impaired hearing, discharge from or disease of either ear, unhealed perforation of the tympanic membrane or signs of acute or chronic supportive otitis media or evidence of radical or modified radical mastoid operation and no congenital malfunction of the ear.
- The unaided average threshold is to be higher than 40 DB in both ears at 500,1000,2000, and 3000 Hz and/or functional speech discrimination less than 90% at 55 DB in both ears is required.
- Ability to hear a whisper: A candidate should be able to hear a whisper at a distance of 5 meters on each side without using hearing aids.
- Candidates should not be afflicted with any disease of the bones and cartilage of the nose, nasal polypus or disease of nasopharynx or accessory sinuses.
Teeth: There should not be any loss or decay of teeth to such an extent as to interfere with efficient mastication.
Throat: There should also not be any evidence of any disease of the throat, palate, tonsils or gums or any disease or injury affecting the normal function of either temporomandibular joint. Individuals with severe pyorrhoea will also be rejected.
There should be no speech impediment like excessive stammering or a pronounced lisp.
5) Lymphatic System
All candidates must have a normally functioning glandular system without signs of tubercular enlargement or abnormality due to other diseases in the neck or other parts of the body.
6) Cardiovascular System
There should be no instance of cardiac or vascular disease.
ECG: Electrocardiogram should be within normal limits.
Systolic and diastolic blood pressure must not exceed 140 and 90 mm of Hg, respectively.
7) Respiratory System
There should be no evidence of chronic or upper respiratory disease, tuberculosis or history of this disease. X-ray of the chest should be normal.
8) Digestive System
- There should be no evidence of any disease of the digestive system and the liver and spleen should not be palpable.
- There should be no abdominal tenderness on palpation.
9) Genitourinary System
Kidney: The kidneys should not be palpable, enlarged or diseased. Candidates with albuminuria, glycosuria or blood (R.B.C) in urine will not be accepted.
Hernia: There should be no hernia or tendency thereto. Those who have been operated for hernia may be declared fit provided:
- one year has elapsed after the operation (documentary proof required);
- the general tone of abdominal muscles is good; and
- there has been no recurrence of hernia or complications arising from the surgery.
There should be no hydrocele, varicocele, spermatocele or any other abnormality of genital organs. There should not be any incidence of fistula and/or anal fissure, haemorrhoids (piles) or rectal polyps. There should be no active latent or congenital venereal disease. Candidates with undescended testes retained in the inguinal canal or at the extra abdominal ring will not be accepted.
There should be no skin disease except that of a temporary or trivial nature. Scars, which by their extent or position are likely to cause disability, are also unacceptable.
11 Nervous System
There should be no history or evidence of mental disease of the candidate or in his family. Candidate having the history of fits, incontinence of urine or enuresis will not be accepted. Mental or nervous irritability, abnormality of gait, defective functions of cranial nerves, non-co-ordination, motor or sensory dysfunction will be cause for disqualification.
Candidates must not have any degree of squint or any morbid condition of eyes or of the eyelids that is liable to aggravate or recur. Neither should they exhibit symptoms of the pressure of trachoma and iris complications or sequela. Candidates must possess good binocular vision (fusion faculty and the full field of vision in both eyes). Movement of the eyeballs must be full in all direction and the pupils should react normally to light and accommodation.
Candidates for the B.S. Nautical Technology programme must have unaided 6/6 vision in both eyes. Color blindness is not permitted
13) Other Tests
In addition, at the time of the medical examination or subsequently at any time during the program, candidates may be asked to undertake Drugs and/or HIV tests.
For any query related to Medical Requirement for Admission to TMI Induri, you can write to us in the comments section below.