The University Grants commission in order to increase female post graduate figures in the country has proposed the Indira Gandhi scholarship. The scholarship is solely for single girl children. The scholarship for the 2014-2016 sessions is open for the applications and candidates have to apply directly to the University Grants Commission, New Delhi.
The scholarship, which aims to cover the educational costs of the applicant as she pursues her Post graduation, is to provide her Rs 2000 a month for ten months of the year. The scholarship is valid for two years (the complete duration of the post-graduation course). Hence the scholarship will totally amount to Rs. 40,000.
1) The applicant to be considered for the scholarship must be the only girl child of the family (or) twin daughter (or) fraternal daughter in the family. In a family with one boy child and girl child, the girl child will not be considered for the eligibility to avail the scholarship.
2) The applicant must be above or 21 years of age and must have passed her 12th Examination with a minimum of 426 marks in science or 412 marks in commerce and a minimum of 351 marks in other subjects.
3) The annual income of the applicant’s parents must be less than Rs. 6 lakh per annum.
4) The scholarship is open for application to PG first year students only.
5) The scholarship is open only to applicants who have registered for a full time, regular Post graduation course in a recognized institution.
The applicants are expected to apply for the scholarship online through the form provided on UGC's website.
The candidates are to apply on or before the 15th of September. Applications post the deadline date will not be entertained under any circumstances.