Foreign Medical Graduates Examination (FMGE) is conducted two times i.e., in June and December every year. Foreign Medical Graduate Examination (FMGE) screening test is conducted for the Indian national candidates those want to practice in India after attaining a degree from a foreign university. It is conducted by the NBA.
The students completing their MBBS from foreign countries need to appear in the MCI Examination. The Indian students who have completed their medical studies from countries like Russia, Philippines, Ukraine, Barbados, Kyrgyzstan, China, Bangladesh, Caribbean countries etc need to take the MCI Screening Test. The examination syllabus for FMGE is decided by the Medical Council of India (MCI) and approved by the Government of India. The things included in the syllabus of FMGE are according to the Graduate Medical Regulation given by MCI. Topics like Para-Clinical, Pre-Clinical, and Clinical subjects are covered.
How to Prepare and Crack FMGE in First Attempt
Below are given a few tips to get through FMGE in the very first attempt and come out with flying colours.
- Cover the whole syllabus.
The candidates must have good knowledge about the whole syllabus. There is a high risk involved in studying only some particular topics and leaving a considerable portion. While appearing for FMGE there is no shortcut method. One has to be thorough with the entire syllabus.
- Take notes of important topics.
It is very important to inculcate the habit of taking notes because while preparing one won’t have the time to go through the entire topic and at that time these notes would be very helpful.
- Work on the weaker areas.
The students need to take every area seriously as all the marks matter. It is seen that students focus only on strong areas and neglect tough and boring areas. It is advised to give equal weightage to every area as the questions might be from any topic.
It is quite natural that the people might ask “why should students, who have completed their MBBS outside India, take MCI Screening Test?
Important factors of MCI Screening Test
- The students who have already completed their MBBS outside India and want to practice in India, MCI Examination is compulsory for them to be eligible to start practising as a professional doctor in India. Only after clearing this examination you will be regarded at per or equivalent to those who have completed their MBBS in India.
- MCI Screening test is not about every detail of MBBS study. It is taken only to check the person’s feasibility, knowledge of basics, ability to apply the knowledge, use common sense, time management capability and familiarity with its core.
- One year of internship is required for the students to fulfil the eligibility criteria after they have cleared the MCI Screening Test. If it is not followed, the students cannot practice or get employments in India.
- Of course, there is no bar on the number of attempts for appearing at the MCI Test. The minimum 50% marks are required for a candidate to be eligible to pass the MCI Screening test. Only after qualifying the MCI Screening Test the aspirants are eligible for applying to State Medical Council or Medical Council of India, New Delhi for permanent or provisional registrations.
- It’s a very tough examination and it also requires a lot of practice. A very few percentage of the candidates get eligible or qualify in this examination. The number of students able to pass the examination after completing MBBS abroad is decreasing day by day.
Things that should be remembered for MCI Screening Test
- This examination takes place two times a year.
- The Medium of Instruction in English
- In MCI Screening Test, there is no negative marking.
- A student can take n number of attempts for clearing MCI Screening Test.
- The students need to score a minimum of 50% or above marks in MBBS degree to be able to take this examination.
Clearing this examination should not be very difficult if the student has well understood the subject. While studying MBBS in abroad whatever has been taught or learned in all those years will help you and will be a plus point in achieving your target.