NASA’s Cinespace 2016 Video Contest
About NASA’s Cinespace 2016
- NASA & Huston Cinema Art Society invites application for their Cinespace 2016, a video contest where the participants are required to submit a short film made by using NASA’s Archive of Actual Video and Images. The participants will use the real NASA footage collected from 50 years of exploring the universe for making the short film.
- The competition will be judged by the American Film Director & Screenwriter Richard Linklater.
- NASA’s Cinespace 2016 is open for participants of all ages and there is no application fee in order to participate in the contest.
- The submission for Young filmmakers (younger than 18 years) can be done by their parents of legal guardians.
- The selected short film will be premiered at the Houston Cinema Arts Festival, November 12 - 19, 2016.
- The winners of NASA’s Cinespace 2016 will be awarded with a cash prize of worth USD 10,000 (Approx. Rs.6,36,000) other than that second and third prizes along with 2 special prizes will also be given.
- The entries can be submitted online using the InnoCentive Submissions Portal and the videos can be uploaded to VIMEO with their link shared in the relevant column of the online application form.
Subscribe for Regular Updates of NASA’s Cinespace 2016
NASA’s Cinespace 2016 Eligibility Criteria
||Open for all
- Age: The competition is open for people of all ages but for Filmmakers younger than 18 years, the parents or guardians may submit a video.
- Nationality: There is no restrictions for the participants related to their nationality and hence people around the globe can participate in this competition.
Not Eligible for the CineSpace
- Employee of NASA, Houston Cinema Arts Society and related organizations are not eligible to participate in the competition.
NASA’s Cinespace 2016 Reward
There will be total 5 winners of this contest.
- Grand Prize: The winner of the Grand Prize will get a cash prize of USD 10,000 (Approx. Rs.6,36,000).
- Second Prize: The winner of the Second Prize will get a cash prize of USD 5,000 (Approx. Rs.3,18,000).
- Third Prize: The Third Prize winner will be awarded with a cash prize worth USD 3,000 (Approx. Rs.1,91,000).
2 Special Prizes
- Film Best Depicting Benefits to Humanity from the International Space Station: USD 4,000.
- Film Best Depicting Spirit of Future Exploration of Space: USD 4,000.
NASA’s Cinespace 2016 Application form and Process
The application process for NASA’s Cinespace 2016 is completely online. The details of the application process are as follow:
- Mode of Application: The application process is completely online and the participants need to submit their original work using the InnoCentive Submission Portal, designed for the same purpose. >> Click here to upload your work.
- Uploading the video: The videos are to be uploaded to Vimeo and link to the same is to be shared in the appropriate field of the online application form.
- Content of the video: The submitted video must contain the following:
- At least 10% of NASA video imagery (based on the running time) although more than 10% can be used.
- Still photos can also be used in addition to Video Imagery.
- The video can be compressed and uploaded and in case an applicant is selected as a winner, they must provide a high-resolution version upon CineSpace’s request.
The NASA imagery may be obtained through NASA Image Archive and other publically available sources such as YouTube or any other social platform.
NASA’s Cinespace 2016 Selection Process
For the selection of the top 3 winners, the submitted work will be judged on the following basis by an expert panel:
- Is the work based on innovative artistic presentation and storytelling?
- Does the work provoke an emotional response?
- Does the work show a mastery of filmmaking craftsmanship?
- Does the work exemplify creative excellence that pushes the boundaries of filmmaking and storytelling?
- Does the work show a high level of technical, conceptual, and aesthetic innovation and display an exceptional level of creative vision.
- Does the work show an exemplary use of the original NASA material used?
- Does the work show an exceptional level of creative vision and execution?
- Does the work capture a creative expression?
- Does the work explore new ideas or techniques to further filmmaking as an art form?
- Does the work offer a fresh perspective?
In order to decide the winners of the special category, NASA’s following statements will be considered as guidelines:
- Film Best Depicting Benefits to Humanity from the International Space Station: The guide statement is as follow: “Through advancing the state of scientific knowledge of our planet, looking after our health, and providing a space platform that inspires and educates the science and technology leaders of tomorrow, these benefits will drive the legacy of the space station as its research strengthens economies and enhances the quality of life here on Earth for all people. This Special Award is for the submission that best captures and communicates this message.”
- Film Best Depicting Spirit of Future Exploration of Space: The guide statement is as follow: “Exploration and pioneering have inspired and shaped civilizations since the dawn of history. Such endeavors are distinguishing characteristics of an advancing civilization. The U.S. and NASA have figured prominently in this story. As nations explore, they discover, innovate, prosper, lead— and become great. NASA missions, both robotic and human, expand the knowledge of our planet, our solar system, and the universe, leading to the expansion of mankind itself from the Earth to the Moon, Mars, and beyond. This Special Award is for the submission that best captures and communicates this message.”
NASA’s Cinespace 2016 Address
Houston Cinema Arts Society
4409 Montrose Boulevard,
Suite 150 Houston,
NASA’s Cinespace 2016 Contact Details
ACST 2017 Scholarship is being offered by Aakash Institute for the admission to the candidates of engineering entrance exams, medical entrance exams a... Read More
Amar Ujala Lakshya Scholarship 2017 is an initiative under the Corporate Social Responsibility by Amar Ujala Foundation to provide financial support t... Read More
3M Young Innovators Challenge 2017 continues with its second generation innovators award program where they seek to find ideas and new projects f... Read More
Scroll Video Story Contest is a video contest on the theme It Happens Only in India. It is jointly organised by Scroll.in and Deutsche Welle (DW)... Read More