MEXT Scholarship 2016 for Study in Japan (UG Studies)
About MEXT Scholarship
- MEXT Scholarship is sponsored by Government of Japan and applications are open for Indian students who want to pursue their undergraduate studies in Japan. The knowledge of Japanese language is not a requirement to apply for the scholarship programme. The students have to fill a one-page application form and submit it to the Embassy of Japan in India.
- Under MEXT Scholarship, students can pursue either pursue a bachelor's degree, a certificate programme, engineering, masters degree, research studies (details of the related subjects are mentioned at the end of page).
- The Course will commence in April 2017
- Applications are open for the following (Last date: June 17, 2016)
||Field of Study
leading to Bachelors Degree
|Social Science, Humanities, Electric and Electronic Studies, Mechanical Studies, Civil Eng. & Architecture, Chemical Studies and others
(B) Agricultural Studies, Hygienic Studies, Science (Biology)
(C) Medicine, Dentistry
College of Technology (Engineering)
leading to Associate Degree (Diploma)
|Mechanical Engg., Electrical and Electronic Engg., Information, Communication & Network Engg., Material Engg., Architecture, Civil Engineering, Maritime Engg., Other Fields
leading to Certificate
|Technology, Personal Care and Nutrition, Education and Welfare, Business, Fashion and Home Economics, Cultural and General Education, Other Fields
- The scholarship includes one-year preparatory education in Japanese language and other subjects which will be provided after the scholar’s arrival in japan, which can be waived under some cases.
- Interested candidates need to download & fill the application form and send it to the Embassy of Japan on or before June 17, 2016.
- Received applications will be examined and registration numbers will be mailed to the shortlisted candidates.Japanese embassy will shortlist the candidates initially by conducting an offline test (to be conducted in July 2016) and the successful candidates will be recommended to MEXT for the scholarship. MEXT will conduct the final selection of the candidates.
MEXT Scholarship News
Subscribe for Regular Updates of MEXT Scholarship
MEXT Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
|| All India
|| Class 12
- Nationality: The applicant must be an Indian citizen.
- Age: The applicant must be born between April 2 ,1995 and April 1, 2000 i.e. between the age of 17 to 21 years.
- Academic Qualification: The candidate must have completed 12 years of regular school education or equivalent to an upper secondary school in Japan.
- Health Status: Candidate must be in sound health so that they can be productive during their study in Japan.
Not eligible for the Scholarship
- Candidates who possess dual nationality at the time of arrival to Japan and are not willing to give up Japanese nationality.
- Candidates who are military personnel or military civilian employee at the time of arrival at Japan.
- Candidates who received MEXT scholarship earlier.
MEXT Scholarship Reward
Number of Scholarships to be awarded
- Undergraduate level leading to Bachelors Degree- 3 scholarships
- College of Technology- 3 scholarships
- Specialised Training -8 scholarships
The scholars selected for the scholarship will get the following benefits
- Allowance: Scholars will receive a monthly allowance of 117,000 yen approximately 62200 Indian Rupees.
- The scholars who are researching in any particular field will get additional 2000-3000 yen approximately 1000-1600 Indian Rupees.
- Travel Cost: The scholars will be entitled for economy class to and fro return fare subjected to the conditions of extension of stay in Japan and other rules applicable.
- Fee: Tuition Fee, fee for entrance examination and matriculation will be paid by the Government of Japan.
- Preparatory Education: The scholarship includes one-year preparatory education in the Japanese language and other subjects which will be provided after the scholar’s arrival in Japan. The preparatory education canwaived only for the following cases
- The students have Sufficient knowledge of Japanese language to pursue their studies in Japanese
- Students who wish to enter a university without Japanese Language requirement.
- Duration of the Scholarship: The period of the scholarshipdepends upon the course selected for the study in Japan. The details of the time period are as follow:
- For Certificate: The period of scholarship is 3 years i.e.April 2016 to March 2019.
- For Associate Degree (Diploma): The period of scholarship is 4 years i.e. April 2016 to March 2020.
- For candidates majoring in maritime engineering, the scholarship period will be four and a half years, lasting up to September 2020.
- For Bachelor’s Degree:The period of scholarship is 5 years i.e. April 2016 to March 2021.
- For the courses in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy or veterinary medicine, which are of 6 years the duration of the scholarship will be of 7 years.
Note: The Duration of the Scholarship for Certificate and Associate Degree Courses may be extended if the candidates possesses excellent academic record and gets admission in related Associate Degree Course or Bachelor’s Degree.
MEXT Scholarship Application form and Process
Those candidates who want to apply for the scholarship need to download the application form and submit it at the Japanese Mission. The details of the application process are as follow:
- Mode of application: The application will be made offline only. Interested candidates can Download the MEXT Scholarship application form and fill it with all the required information.
- Documents to be attached: The following documents need to be attached along with one Photocopy with the application form and number them on the upper right corner:
- Application form
- Placement Preference Form
- Academic transcript for the past 3 years
- Recommendation from the principal or the adviser of the last school attended
- Graduation certificate of the last school attended
- Medical certificate
- Certificate of enrollment
- Certificate of passage of university entrance qualification examination.
- Photograph: Thephotographneed to be affixed on the Application Form and Placement Preference Form. The specifications of the photograph are as follow:
- Dimensions: 4.5cm × 3.5 cm
- It should be Full faced and Without cap or goggles.
- The name and nationality of the applicant must be written on the backside of the photograph.
- The photo must not be older than 6 months.
Submission of Application Form
Candidates need to complete the application form and mention “Application for Undergraduate Scholarship” on the envelope. Submit the application form to the below mentioned address in order to complete the application process:
West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand and Orissa
Consulate General of Japan 55, M.N. Sen Lane, Tollygunge Kolkata-700040
Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana
Consulate General of Japan No 12/1 Cenetoph Road, 1st Street, Teynampet Chennai-600018
Maharashtra, Gujarat, Goa, Daman & Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Chhattisgarh and M.P.
Consulate General of Japan No.1 M.L Dhanukar Marg,Cumballa Hill Mumbai-400026
Consulate of Japan 1st Floor, Prestige Nebula No.8-14, Cubbon Road Bengaluru-560001
Tel: 080-4064-9999, 4166-0111~3
For remaining states and union territories,
Japan Information Centre (JIC) Embassy of Japan, 50-G, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi-110021 Phone: 011-24122970~2; 4610-4810
MEXT Scholarship Selection Process
The Japanese Diplomatic Mission will conduct the initial screening of the candidates by the means of submitted application documents, examination and interviews. The information related to the examination are as follow:
- For Certificate: All the candidates need to appear in the examination of Japanese, English and Mathematics.
- College of Technology, for Associate Degree (Diploma): The candidates need to appear in the examination of the following subjects depending on the course they want to pursue in Japan.
- Materials Engineering: Candidates willing to study Materials Engineering must appear in the examination of English, Mathematics, Japanese and Chemistry.
- For all others: Those candidates who want to study in fields other than Material Engineering need to give the examination of English, Mathematics, Japanese and Physics.
- For Bachelor’s Degree: The candidates need to appear in the examination of the following subjects depending on the course they want to pursue in Japan.
- For Major in Social Sciences and Humanities: All applicants must sit for examinations in Mathematics, English, and Japanese (3 subjects in all).
- For Major in Natural Sciences: All applicants must sit for examinations in Mathematics, English, two subjects selected from among Physics, Chemistry and Biology, and Japanese (5 subjects in all).
- In the selection of the two subjects from among Physics, Chemistry and Biology, the applicants must choose Physics and Chemistry when applying for Natural Sciences A; and Chemistry and Biology when applying for Natural Sciences B or C.
- Shortlisted candidates will be intimated via e-mail regarding their registration number. Candidates need to carry with them the e-mail sent to them to enter the examination hall.
- The information regarding the examination venue and timings will be made available on the website.
MEXT Scholarship Address
Japan Information Centre
Embassy of Japan
50-G, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi – 110021
MEXT Scholarship Contact Details
Phone: 011 – 4610 4865
Fax: 011 – 2410 6976
Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship Programme 2017-18 is organised by the Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation. The foundation awards interest-free loan scholarship... Read More
The Anthem Essay competition is one of the three essay writing competitions conducted by AYN Rand Education.The student has to write an essay on any o... Read More
Commonwealth Shared Scholarships is offered by Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) in partnership with UK Universities undertake Master Level St... Read More
New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarship 2017 offers scholarships to people from developing countries who are motivated to make a difference at home.... Read More