The NITI Aayog (National Institution for Transforming India) has recently announced a bill to restructure the regulatory framework for medical education in India and replace the Medical Council of India (MCI) with a new body named National Medical Commission (NMC). The bill, which seeks new changing will be placed in the cabinet soon for approval.
The government was working on the issue since last year. A high-level committee has been organised to solve the problem of poor medical education regulation by MCI and the committee has proposed replacing MCI with NMC. A government official said in a statement that the NITI Aayog is working on the bill proposed by the committee last year and the bill is likely to be placed in the cabinet soon for approval. Last year, the parliamentary committee had called for revamping the Medical Council of India (MCI), saying that the MCI has failed in its basic role as a regulator which has led to a downfall of the medical education system in India.
Once the cabinet gives agreement on the issue, National Medical Commission (NMC) will be established as a main regulatory body and will take over all the responsibilities and roles related to regulating medical education in India.
NEET 2017 - Information Guide
About NMC (National Medical Commission)
- The National Medical Commission (NMC) will have best doctors across the country and medical experts.
- The NMC will be regulated by around 20 members, including a chairman, experts from the field of economics and law. The entire member will give their service for 5 years.
- These will be working to ensure quality medical education in the country at per with global standards.
Other Boards to be introduced with final decision
To regulate the medical education in India successfully, the NMC will need some helping board related to medical education. Under the new regulating body for medical education, there will be also the following board:
- Under Graduate Medical Board
- Post Graduate Medical Board
- Accreditation and Assessment Board
- Board for registration of medical colleges as well as monitoring of ethics in the profession
- Medical Advisory Council (MAC)
For any queries related to this news, You can write to us in the comments section below.