AICTE issued notification for Engineering Institutes stating new rules in which it is clearly mentioned that from now onwards all the technical institutes in the country will have to publish a complete list of their fee structure before starting of the session. The institutes will not be further allowed to charge the students with an extra fee, other than the one given on their websites. According to these rules notified by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), if any institute fails to follow these new rules and charge the student with some extra fee then that college will have to pay a fine.
The amount of this fine will be double of the total fee collected from per student. The penalty will not be only limited to this, the AICTE has the right to suspend approval for NRI and the excess number of seats owned by any institution for one academic year.
Norms propagated by AICTE for Technical Institutions
- The technical institutes are not allowed to charge extra fees from the students other than the fees given on their websites. If any institutes found charging an extra fee then that college will have to pay a fine.
- There is also one rule which states that these colleges are not authorised to name themselves in a way that may sound or look like IIM, IIT, IISc, NIT which are country’s proficient institutes or Government bodies such as AICTE, UGC, MHRD, GoI.
- The notification also deals with foreign Universities /Institutions which are running in India and have their own centres or have entered into partnerships with domestic institutions.
- These rules have been summarised in a document which will be bound by the notification stating institutes cannot collect any extra fees
- They will advise them against issuing visas to employees/ teachers and to stop repatriation of funding
AICTE's new rules for Engineering Institutes - More about the News!
All these rules have been summarised in a document named as All India Council for Technical Education (Grant of Approvals for the Technical Institutions) (1st Amendment) Regulations 2017. There is a notification in this document stating that now the institutes will be bound to make their clearly visible to the students and cannot collect any extra fee.
There are also norms for the penalty for violation of this act. And the excess collected amount will also be refunded to the student.The council declared this rule to avoid any confusion with the names. A senior AICTE official said that some institutes do such naming of the institutes to mislead the students and by getting confused the students end up taking admissions in such colleges.
What the Notification issued by AICTE says
“ The applicant shall also not use the words Government India, Indian, National, All India, All India Council, Commission anywhere in the name of the technical institution and other names are prohibited under the Emblems and Names (Prevention of improper use), Act, 1950..” stated in the notification issued by the council. "
- Also, know about the scholarships offered by AICTE
In case of any query regarding the news, you can write to us in the comment section below