CAT Syllabus 2017 is quite vast, ranging from topics from Class VIII to Graduation level Common Aptitude Test (CAT) can have questions from any level. CAT is known to give surprises every year, after all, it is one of the most difficult exams in the country. Although there is no specified official CAT Syllabus, the questions from the last few years CAT exam do give us the fair idea of what to expect in CAT 2017. We bring to you the important topics that cover all the three sections of CAT 2017.
CAT 2017 - Get Complete Details
CAT Syllabus 2017 - Sectionwise CAT 2017 Syllabus
As mentioned before there is no predefined syllabus for CAT Exam. However, the candidates are tested for qualitative ability, data interpretation, verbal Ability and logical reasoning. Following are the three sections of CAT Exam, this article brings to you important topics that a student must cover under each section.
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)|
|Quantitative Ability (QA)|
CAT Syllabus 2017: Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)
CAT Exam Syllabus for Verbal Ability
- Vocabulary Based (Synonyms Antonyms)
- English Usage or Grammar
- Sentence Correction
- Fill in the blanks
- Cloze Passage
- Analogies or Reverse Analogies
- Jumbled Paragraph
- Meaning-Usage Match
- Summary Questions.
- Verbal Reasoning.
- Facts/ Judgements / Inferences.
CAT Exam Syllabus for Reading Comprehension
- Grammar: Grammar-based questions test the candidate’s ability to identify and correct the grammatical errors. The level of grammar covered in CAT is generally of the high school level which includes topics like subject-verb agreement as well as the use of use of modifiers,
- Vocabulary: The Questions related to vocabulary tests candidate’s overall word knowledge. The student is checked on the primary meanings of words, antonyms, related words, usage, secondary shades of meaning, idioms and phrases, phrasal verbs, use of articles, prepositions, parallel construction, redundancy, to name a few.
- Verbal Reasoning: these questions are meant to test the student's ability to identify relationships or patterns within groups of words or sentences.
CAT Syllabus 2017: Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)
In this segment, students are tested for their data interpretation skills. The student has to interpret the data given in the form of tables, graphs charts (or any of the following manner) and answer the questions based on it.
CAT Exam Syllabus for Data Interpretation
- Column Graphs
- Bar Graphs
- Line Charts
- Pie Chart
- Venn Diagrams
CAT Exam Syllabus for Logical Reasoning
- Number and Letter Series
- Venn Diagrams
- Binary Logic
- Seating Arrangement
- Logical Sequence
- Logical Matching
- Logical Connectives
- Blood Relations
CAT Syllabus 2017: Quantitative Ability (QA)
- Number Systems
- LCM and HCF
- Profit, Loss, and Discount
- Interest (Simple and Compound)
- Speed, Time and Distance
- Surds and Indices
- Permutation and Combination
- Set Theory
- Mixtures and Alligations
Time and Work
Ratio and Proportion
Progressions (Sequences & Series)
- Coordinate Geometry
CAT Exam Pattern 2017
Number of Questions
Quantitative Ability (QA)
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR)
Verbal and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
Get Detailed CAT Exam Pattern 2017 Here
Analysis of Previous CAT Exams
CAT introduced a segment with non-Multiple Choice Question wherein, the candidates are not given the options instead the answer was to be typed in.
Most of the students who appeared in CAT last year find the question paper difficult as looking at options helps in finding solutions to question easier. Last year approximately 32% questions were to be typed in.
According to the students, section two i.e. Data Interpretation and Logic Reasoning (DILR) section was the toughest part of CAT exam. However, the students from engineering field found it comparatively easier. Verbal Ability Section i.e section 1 was easiest amongst all the segments.
Click Here for CAT 2017 Analysis
For any queries regarding the CAT Syllabus 2017, you can write to us in the comment section below.